Saturday, October 22, 2005

Great minds have purposes; others have wishes.(Washington Irving )

I have recently seen a case where three employees of a firm were thrown out because they could not be productive to the organization with in the stipulated period of time (or so the management thought). They were just whisked off into a room one day & asked to resign so that their track record is clear & if they refused to resign, they would be terminated. These infuriated yet scared people agreed to resign but did make some noise in the ears of the ‘right’ people. But nothing much can be done if the ‘right’ people decide to ignore it. I understand that the firm is going through immense pressure, but more is expected from a leader during crisis.

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
Publilius Syrus ~100 BC

I guess this is a clear-cut sign that the management needs grooming. They need to come to the work place with a different set of ethics. Treat your subordinates like family, fine, but not just a chosen few. And the rest are given step motherly treatment. Sad, immature & highly demotivating. A leader is someone who the rest accept as a leader, else, he or she is an autocrat. Autocracy breeds discontent which in turn affects the quality & quantity of the employees work. I am not saying that the leader has to be a cuckoo bird, nice & sweet all the time, but please, when will they get over their ‘ego trip’ of being higher humans. It maybe too late. In this case, they refused to accept the fact that these employees were not given proper training. The people responsible for training them have a track record for being headstrong & not helpful. People have already complained about them, but to deaf ears. They are the ‘yes men’ of the management.

I don't want any "yes-men" around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them their jobs.
Samuel Goldwyn 1882-1974, American (Polish-born) movie producer
(I don’t know who he is. I am quoting him because he understands what I am saying.)

Today’s aggressive business climate makes extra demands on corporate leadership as corporations fight to compete on price, quality and standards of service with international competitors. Knowledgeable, intuitive, decisive and responsible leaders capable of instigating change, recognizing and seizing opportunities, and winning the support of the workforce are essential if organizations are to maximize their opportunities for growth and development. Why can they not see it if I can? My style of management is situational & so it should be. There cannot be a set of tools that can be used and reused in all situations. Therefore managers need to keep sharpening their ethics & morals. Corporates need some real time church like sermons. I am not saying all this because I am not in the management. I guess I am chalking it out to myself so that if some day I am there (if I have the patience to stick around) I know what I should not do. And what should I do? Situational I Say :0)

To some men the matter of giving orders seems a very simple affair: they expect to issue their own orders and have them obeyed without question. (...) Psychology, as well as our own observation, shows us not only that you cannot get people to do things most satisfactorily by ordering them or exhorting them; but also that even reasoning with them, even convincing them intellectually, may not be enough.(Mary Follett,psychologist,in,The Giving Of Orders).

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Saturday, October 22, 2005  
Blogger Hopeful Indian said...

Leadership is definitely not a bed of roses and it's not something for the faint hearted. We need to see some leadership with compassion and leaders willing to act neutrally and professionally in today's demanding business environment...that's for sure.

If you like computer problem cartoons check them out at my blog http://www.sillygloop.blogspot.com Categorized cartoons: http://spaces.msn.com/members/sillygloop/

Have a nice day. C'ya!
Vijay

Sunday, October 23, 2005  
Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee said...

good one. leadership is tricky. i guess the benchmark of good leadership is success (not the best measure). when things are good even the dumbest moves are hailed. when things go bad its the other way round.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005  
Blogger Seema said...

Vijay@we bond over this issue.Lets see what we do if & when.
Abhishek@You being the M.B.A. & all should tell us more.You must have been taken through zillions of case studies.
Samit@It was an add.Some Debt relief stuff.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005  
Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee said...

organisational behaviour (where HR related issues are taught) was my least fav. course...lol. one class where we could catch up on lost sleep!

Friday, October 28, 2005  
Blogger Seema said...

And thats exactly where we loose our sleep when we start working.Sad HR.Am sure they all slept through their classes Abhishek.They even loose common sense with time,belive me.

Friday, October 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Seema - stop being so curt with ur visitors! Btw - you are very right - "that exactly where we loose our sleep".....but trust me I think commenting from 'below' is quite easy, and 'carefully acting' when top there is tough! But you have good thoughts and the best part is that you think seriously abt it - hence at least u will not b like "that"! BTW - do u mind extending some 'consulting' to me on this same funda???hehhe....

Tuesday, November 01, 2005  
Blogger Seema said...

Imran,curt? When did that happen? Please let me know,as I can assure you that it was not intentional.I really do value the comments of the friends who take time to read what I post.
By the way,I so agree that commenting from below is easy.What I would like to see is that we don't forget what we cribbed about when we grow in the firm.I know business is a game of the shrewd mind,but without a heart,there can be no long term consitent growth.Atleast thats what I think.

Sunday, November 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, December 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home